Thursday, October 26, 2006

To "Mooch", To Be A "Mooch", Or Be "Moochs?"....

The other night John, Spencer and I sat down for a nice friendly game of Scrabble. For the most part, it was a fun game but then I challenged John on one of his words. This game happened a couple of nights ago, but I have been thinking about it since and I can definitely see his side of the argument, however, I still disagree. Spencer laid the word "mooch" down. Fine, no questions there. John then added an "s" to the end of "mooch" to make the new word "moochs". That "s" was the beginning to the word sexy spelled down. Sexy happened to fall onto a triple word score and I was not going to let him get away with that. I had to challenge it because I was quite certain "moochs" was not a word. I explained to him that adding an "es" to the end would be correct and he agreed but also argued that mooch can be a noun so therefore you could have moochs. We went up to dictionary.com and typed in the verb mooch which did show up. With the word mooch, mooches was also okay and so was moocher(the noun) but no moochs. Now, in the sentence, "you are such a mooch", mooch is intended to be used as a noun. So, in slang it is okay to use mooch as a noun . I think, though, when you are referring to many people who "mooch" you would still have to add an "es" to make it right....they are all mooches. I really have no english rule to support why it would be an "es" as opposed to just an "s", other than it just looks right to me but I could be wrong. Who really knows. All I know is that I won the challenge and ended up winning the game. Yeah, I know, I rule!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home